It’s amazing how many recipes we can create with broccoli. Or cauliflower. Or peas, sweetcorn, carrots and vegetables in general. It’s also amazing, how creative you can be in the kitchen or as a food stylist, or even as a photographer. When my father brought me this amazing broccoli a few days ago, freshly cut from a field from the suburban’s of the capital, I instantly knew that I wanted to create a recipe, a photoshoot and a food styling setting with it. Not sure why, I just found it amazingly beautiful, creative and… artistic!
And so I did. I first started with the styling and photoshoot and then, not having all that time left, I figured out a simple and quick recipe to complete my day and the broccoli…!!
I knew I wanted pasta, as I knew that I had no time to make pasta from scratch, so I opened my kitchen cupboards, only to come across to some high protein fusilli wholewheat pasta from TESCO.
I boiled the pasta in some hot water, which previously I added, 1 chicken and 1 vegetable stock cube from Knorr, and set aside. Then I used plenty of virgin olive oil in an iron cast pan, and tossed in some onion, garlic, pieces of broccoli, sweetcorn and peas and stir fried them until soft and voila! Everything was ready. I then, mixed them in the deep casserole, where the pasta was resting – and I had already drained them – but something was missing, so I added a couple of spoonful, of pesto sauce – yes readymade too, but I will be sharing soon a pesto sauce recipe – and the outcome was finally fantastic!
So don’t be afraid, give it a go…with any vegetables you have around, since it is amazing what you can do with only a bunch of broccoli!
For the pasta:
- 250g high protein, wholewheat, fusilli pasta
- 1 litre of drinking water, for the boil
- 1 chicken & 1 vegetable stock
For the pasta sauce:
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup, fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup, fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- broccoli (with their sterns – as much as you like) cut into chunky pieces
- 100 ml, virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 tsp pesto sauce, for topping
- Salt & pepper (optional)
- Bring the water to the boil and add the stocks. Allow a few minutes boiling, before adding the pasta. Stir and return to boil. If you are preparing the sauce now allow to cook for 8 – 10 minutes, drain immediately and set aside with lid on. If the sauce is already made, pour it in the casserole with the drain pasta and stir well. Transfer to a platter and add the pesto, while hot. Stir lightly and serve!
- For the sauce, add the oil in the pan, allow to become hot and add the onion & garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, then add, the broccoli, sweetcorn and peas. Cook further for 7 – 8 minutes, stir light, occasionally. When ready, pour on top of the drain pasta and toss it light so all ingredients are mingled.
‘Wholewheat pasta, is a source of fibre and iron. It is also known that high protein pastas beautifully balanced for a healthy living, because of the proteins, vitamins and iron..”