I can’t believe that is nearly the end of the first month of 2017! It was only a “few” days ago that I had to start preparing my posts and work for Christmas and I had to have everything ready weeks before, in order to uploaded them on time – it must have been the early days of November actually – and now is the end of the first month of 2017!!! It’s amazing how time flies if you haven’t much to anticipate or to worry about and nothing to lose but to gain! As amazing as how just 2 “wrong” days might sound like a century to you, that seems like is never going to end and enter a new era after them!
Everywhere I look in my Instagram, any story or any photo I come across daily, from USA to Europe is nothing but snow or a blizzard or the actual snowing time with faded little stickers that pop up in front of my eyes to demonstrate the temperature at the moment in every length of the planet like un unspoken competition between the people I follow, of who is at the moment in the coldest area of the planet. I don’t say that I don’t love winter. I actually adore winter and snow and cold temperatures and the grey sky in all of its 50 shades and I could live in winter countries for ever but at the moment in my country we have the first signs of spring days with purple and pink flowers and sunny yet cold days.
Out of the pink and purple shades of the flowers around me, got me inspired today to create these little vanilla cakes with rich colourful glazing made with fresh winter fruits like blueberries, red berries and little black currants. Although I have spent more time in the kitchen that I have originally anticipated the outcome was stunning, both in taste and in styling and at the end, when I have enjoyed them with a strong cup of espresso I was feeling happier than tired!
The recipe is simple and the ingredients are pure. The colours of the glaze were exactly as I wanted them to be and they happily surprise me! It is amazing how the juice of some fresh fruits can transform a plain little cake both in taste and in looks. Al you have to do is to squeeze them in a mixer produce their juice, add them in a cup of icing sugar and voila!! I hope you enjoy making this recipe as I have enjoyed it and I hope you like it too. A cup of hot coffee, an espresso or a warm tee will definitely complete the whole eating experience.
Coloured Glazed Vanilla Cakes
For the cake:
- 225g Self raising flour
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2-4 tsp milk
For the icing:
- 1 cup of icing sugar for every 5 – 6 tbsp of freshly squeezed juice of
- black currants
- a few drops of cold milk if you want to loosen the icing
- Preheat oven in 180c/Gas Mark 4
- Sieve the flour with baking powder and vanilla and add to a mixer bowl.
- Sieve the caster sugar and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add.
- Start the mixer in medium speed.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and stir lightly.
- Add to the mixture and allow in medium speed to beat the mixture for ten minutes.
- Choose any small moulds of your choice and evenly spread the mixture up to the middle.
- Place the moulds in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and not stick if you place a pointed knife in it.
- In the meantime freshly squeezed various juices from the fruits and keep them them seperately.
- In small bowls or cups place 1 cup of icing sugar. Add 5-6 table spoons of each juice in the cup and stir well to make a thick coloured glazed.
- Once the cakes are ready remove and place them in baking racks to cool down.
- When they are cooled well pour any choice of graze on each cake separately.